Thursday, March 28, 2013

RSS Feeders after Reader

Google is officially saying goodbye to Reader on July 1, 2013 due to the desire to mainstream and focus more on less. In other words, they're scaling down. Now you may be wondering about the data stored by Reader? One option is to use Google Takeout to download a copy of your data stored within Google products. Another option is to choose a reader that offers a smooth switch to their product.

So What's Next?
There are many RSS Readers out there. You need to decide what is best for you. Do you want to just use a reader on your smartphone or your pc as well? How about both? If this is the case you must read the fine print to make sure the Reader of your choice offers compatibility for iOS, Android and Web so your experience is fully covered.

Choices, Choices, Choices:
I am going to focus on two Readers: Pulse and Feedly, both of which help with the transition from Google Reader with your content.  I am not sure about you, but for me I love the visual aspect of Pulse with their mosaic layout. Although it has a Google Chrome extension  the visual appeal is about as far as Pulse goes for me. I personally prefer the UI of Feedly. If you are getting an overwhelming amount of information RSS'd to your Reader, I like the organization of a list layout. How does it respond with your PC? No problem. It's compatible with Chrome (automatic updates), Firefox and Safari.

Check out these Videos that talk about each:
Pulse
Feedly

So what does this mean for you?
Let me know...


No comments:

Post a Comment